Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Multi-Talented Author Intelligent Allah






































Writing Royalty: Thank you for agreeing to do this interview for our Blog, I really appreciate it.
Author Intelligent Allah:  Thank you for inviting me.
Writing Royalty: Tell us who is Author Intelligent Allah? How long have you been writing?
Author Intelligent Allah: Well, I’ve been writing poetry off and on since I was about 11 and I’ll be 38 on April 8th, so you can do the math. But as for fiction, I’ve been writing that for 13 years and I’ve been writing articles and editorials for about 17 years.

Writing Royalty: Tell us the names of your books.
Author Intelligent Allah: My books are Lickin’ License, which was a #1 Bestseller in Don Diva magazine and Lickin’ License 2, which got me nominated for Erotica Author of the Year in 2012 by the African American Literature Awards. I’ve also have non fiction pieces published in the books Knowledge of Self, Locked Up But Not Locked Down and The Fourth City.
Writing Royalty: Tell us a little about your literary journey? What lessons did you learn along the way?
Author Intelligent Allah: My literary journey started in the streets with poetry and rap, but it really picked up in prison where I was sentence to 19 years to Life. I served 18.5 years of that. I’ve always been creative and into the arts, so writing has been a mechanism for me to channel that love for making and developing things. Writing has been a tool that allows me to reflect on myself, because what I write is a reflection of my worldview and my life. It also allows me to explore people’s motives and interrogate life.
Writing Royalty:  Has this always been your career choice? What inspired you to become an author?
Author Intelligent Allah:  No, with the exception of me pursuing a career in the rap game before I was incarcerated. I was inspired to become a fiction writer after taking a creative writing course in 2001, until than I had visions of writing a non fiction book.
Writing Royalty: Who is the author that has most influenced your life?
Author Intelligent Allah: Definitely Wahida Clark. That’s because we both are from the ‘hood and started out writing in prison. Also because I’ve had the opportunity to edit some of here books (Thug Matrimony, Justify My Thug and Honor Thy Thug), which has allowed me to analyze her strengths that make her books popular. The narrative of her life has been an inspiration, because she became an author and business woman while in prison an has continued to excel in society.
Writing Royalty: What was your most favorite book to pen thus far? Why?
Author Intelligent Allah: Lickin’ License. It was my first published work, so it means a lot and I learned a lot about the writing process and publishing process. But the book was very personal to me, because the characters each have some traits of mine, so reading the book is like looking in the mirror. The book is also my favorite because it is the ultimate love story, ‘hood tale and erotica book put together.
Writing Royalty:  What character in your book can you most relate too?
Author Intelligent Allah: Definitely Vanessa. I’m in love with her. She possesses the ability to live for herself in spite of what people think, she’s smart, she’s gorgeous, driven and very sensual—everything I look for in a woman. The flaw in her is she’s not sure what she wants emotionally at times. But I love her.
Writing Royalty: Where do you get your ideas for your characters and plot?
Author Intelligent Allah: The characters develop consciously and subconsciously from myself, my desires and people I know. The plot always starts with a character that has a problem that needs to be solved, or a goal to attain. From there I develop obstacles for the character, which become subplots.
Writing Royalty: Have you ever experienced writer’s block? What do you do, if that happens?
Author Intelligent Allah: I really haven’t. I force myself to write even if I’m not motivated.
Writing Royalty: If you were not an author, what would your career be? (If you have always aspired to be an author, what is your dream collaboration?)
Author Intelligent Allah: My second passion is graphic design. I’ve been designing logos, flyers, posters, etc. That would be my primary career choice if I wasn’t a writer.
Writing Royalty: Now, urban fiction authors seem to always seem get a bad for being a bad influence on our youth. What are your thoughts?
Author Intelligent Allah: Literature like any other art form influences people. We are social beings. We need to start holding people accountable for allowing themselves to be influenced. I’m from Brooklyn, and used to run the streets of New York, and I’ve succumbed to peep pressure and social influences. But I reached a point where I took control of my life and no one can dictate how I move. I’m conscious of external factors and I choose to accept them or not. If I don’t that’s my fault. So no book, movie or hip hop song can make me do anything.
Writing RoyaltyIf people wanted to get in contact with you, how can they find you?
Author Intelligent Allah: I’m on Instagram and Twitter @authorintell, Facebook at Author Intelligent Allah, Vance Burrows and Lickin’ License Group
Writing Royalty: Do you have any up and coming projects or tours?
Author Intelligent Allah: I’m working on two ebooks, Street Rules and What’s Beef  in addition to Lickin’ License 3
Writing RoyaltyThank you Intelligent for taking time to do this interview, we wish you nothing but continued success.
Author Intelligent Allah: The pleasure was mine. I appreciate you providing an outlet for me to reach people. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment